Site de l'Office de Tourisme de Théoule sur Mer
Site de l'Office de Tourisme de Théoule sur Mer
Saturday 29th April

Story
Accueil > DISCOVERY > Story
Publié le 2013/8/27 16:00:00
Printer Friendly Page Send this Story to a Friend Create a PDF from the article


 

Between and 1900 Théoule has undergonevarious changes in various text editors or cards:
- Under Roman occupation : Tèle
- In 450 AD : Telle (by Saint Eucher in his memoirs)
- In 1636 : Theoulle (diary of a religious dated August 10th)
- In 1640 : Téoule (terrestrial map)
- In 1700 : Tuelle (plan of the rade)
- End of XVIII : Teule and Teule's peak (indicated on Cassini's map)
- In 1807 : Teoile (terrestrial map).

Théoule emerges from the mist of time, the molten lava, which left this red rocks so characteristic. Théoule area was part of Lord of The Napoule and so, it was until the revolution. Its 4 harbours with their yatchs and some fishing boats have replaced many merchant vessels and war vessels in the XVII century, and anchored in this important harbour.

 
 

Order of Richelieu, a defense tower was built in the early XVII century to defend the bay and the islands. It was largely destroyed a few years later for budgetary matters.

Théoule castle has been transformed over the centuries. He was built on an old soap factory in the XVII century, which there are some remains in the basement, and took its current architecture during various extensions built since the beginning of this century.

 
 

Smuggler Legend : Mr Gardanne gave his name to a natural cave. April 10th 1863, the first train made its entry into Cannes Train Station And in 1882, when its population didn't exceed 50 people, the district of Théoule got equipped with a train station, thanks  
to the beauty of its unique site, which seduced the administrative council.

Théoule, its balcony on the Azur coast, its red rocks, but also the blood of 11 sailors from a naval assault group who died when they landed on the night of August 14th to 15th 1944, whose companions of that long night perpetuate the memory every August 15th. Near the memorial on which are engraved the names of 11 sailors and overlooking the only place where the Alpes Maritimes, took place some landing in Provence, the town erected a large cross of Lorraine in memory of the appeal of June 18th.

 
 

In 1888, through the gift of Pierron family, the dad François Virgili creates the Villa St Camille, a home where Sir Abel Ballif came to rest, founder and first president
of the Touring Club of France, which under the charm of this region, came to settle and end his days in Théoule where he has
buried in the small cemetery.

Imported from Australia to La Bocca by a sailor in1864, the mimosa quickly gaining Théoule xhere, at the beginning of the century, is one of the largest farms in the afternoon (more than 4000 trees) : mimosa ambassador of the Côte d'Azur and of Théoule, where every year there are 400 to 500 bikers participating at the event " the road of Mimosa".

 
 

Théoule has to pay tribute to a great man, General Bertrand resistance hero, has been serveral times Mayor of the town, and his wife Mary (the code name of the resistance). Man and woman of the shadow, which made it possible to discover the secret of this extraordinary Enigma used by the  Wermarcht to decode the most secret messages.

The architecture of the beautiful villas of the early 19 century, with port La Galère in the middle of XXe century or  Anti Lovag "le palais bulles" more recently, has once again mark and give his stamp to Théoule sur Mer. The story of Théoule sur Mer would not be complete without a thought for the big names who live inThéoule. We shall cite only one example, which is one of the sponsors: Pierre Cardin.